Blackpool’s Grand Pavilion was designed by Thomas Mitchell and built in 1878 as the first part of the wider Winter Gardens complex. The present Pavilion auditorium was reconstructed in 1897 by theatre architects Wylson and Long. It is Listed Grade II*.
The theatre is to be converted as part of the Blackpool Museum Project. The project involves the creation of a new £26m Museum for Blackpool, telling the storey of the nation’s seaside destination and its role in the development of popular culture. It has been successful in securing a round one pass from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
The existing Conservation Management Plan had not fully appraised the Pavilion. Theatre and Heritage has researched the importance of Wylson and Long Architects as well as looking at specific elements within the Pavilion considering their special architectural and historic merit to support the Museum Project.